FIRE CIDER - MASTER TONIC
Fire Cider and/or Master Tonic is a concoction that you can make at home that helps combat the flu, other similar illnesses and much, much more. The only real difference between Fire Cider and Master Tonic is that the latter does not use honey. I prefer mine without honey but add the ingredient to the recipe below for those that prefer their tonic to be a little sweeter.
Now, there is no scientific evidence that Fire Cider or Master Tonic works but I am a firm believer in it. I made my first batch of the tonic in about 2013 and because of the pungent flavor, I was the only one in my family of 6 that was willing to drink it. I started out by taking a teaspoon full and after about a week I was up to taking a shot glass full, each day. Shortly after, flu came upon our house with all of its fury. Everyone in our household got sick as dogs… except me. I know I am susceptible to flu, just like everyone else because the previous year I was just as sick as the rest of them. I really should be taking the stuff a teaspoon at a time throughout the year but I tend to only start taking it around flu season, in large doses.
All of the ingredients in this tonic have some sort of health benefit and together they seem to kick illnesses in the pants!
The use of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar “with Mother” is very important. You don’t want to use just any apple cider vinegar. Be sure to get organic with mother, of Mother of vinegar. It contains acetic acid bacteria and has other properties that are good for your body. This vinegar can kill harmful bacteria, lower blood sugar levels, help burn fat, improve heart health, and increases you bodies acidic level which in turn helps protect against cancer. Combine it with all of the other ingredients in this recipe and it is sure to have some great benefits.
My other favorite ingredient in this concoction are the habaneros. They beauty of putting it in vinegar is that it still remains a bit spicy, they vinegar dilutes or breaks down the hot pepper and makes it far more bearable. I don’t know the science behind it but I do know that I put a large amount of hot peppers in mine and its never as hot as I expect it to be. I recommend that you put the hottest pepper that you can handle in it and even if you think you won’t be able to handle it, put the next hottest pepper in there because I think you will be surprise. Anyways, the capsaicin in peppers also has a great healing property and helps protect against heart disease. Other benefits may be helping treat cancer, pain reliever, decreased cluster headaches, helps treat psoriasis, improves the blood sugar and insulin reactions therefore helps in the management of diabetes, and it helps speed up your metabolism, therefor promoting healthy weight-loss.
While all of the other ingredients of Fire Cider are very important, the last one I will talk about is Turmeric. This is another one that some people may skimp on because of its taste but I highly discourage it. Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory, helps increase your bodies antioxidants, increases brain function and lowers the risk of brain disease, may help prevent Alzheimer’s, lowers your risk of heart disease, helps prevent cancer, reduces the pain associated with arthritis, helps with depression and helps with age related chronic diseases.
Combine these three natural nutritional wonders with the others and you are sure to make a concoction that is good for your body!
Preparing the ingredients of Fire Cider / Master Tonic takes a little bit of work and to properly cure it takes 5-6 weeks but the work and wait is well worth it! The recipe below is for a large batch that will last 1 person a very long time. I use a 3 pint jar so that I only have to make it once a year. If you want to make less, decrease suggested amounts as you see fit. Also be sure to use a plastic lid on your jar as the vinegar and other ingredients are acidic and will eat away at metal lids.
- 1 cup freshly peeled and grated ginger root
- 1 cup freshly grated horseradish root
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 14 cloves of garlic, crushed or chopped
- 4 organic habaneros peppers, chopped (the hotter the pepper, the better)
- 1 lemon, slice whole lemon including rind
- 1 small orange, slice whole orange including rind
- 2 Tablespoons dried rosemary leaves
- 1-2 Tablespoon turmeric powder or 4 Tablespoons freshly grated turmeric root
- (some people don’t like the flavor of turmeric so adjust accordingly)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- Organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar w/ mother
- 1/4 cup raw honey, or to taste
- Add all fruit, roots, herbs, peppers, etc into a large 3 pint jar (plastic lid is preferable as the vinegar will eat away at metal lids). Do not add honey yet.
- Fill jar with vinegar until it completely covers all of the ingredients.
- Place in a cool dark room for 5-6 weeks. Shake once per day.
- After 5-6 weeks strain ingredients through cheesecloth to remove the pulp that is left. Discard pulp or you can use it for cooking seasoning.
- Add honey to taste.
- Mix well before drinking. Take 1 tsp to 1oz(Shot glass) per day.